Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Wolverine


The much anticipated Wolverine sequel has arrived. Taking a trip across the waters to Japan. I already have a personal fascination with the traditional Japanese culture so placing Hugh Jackman with a couple other mutants and some action- not a bad combination.


I realize the plot was revolved around Wolverine’s immortality and his journey to decide who or what he wants to be. Like always, it’s nice seeing new faces on the big screen but what I felt lacked was the mutant community. I had to remind myself several times this was a branch of X-Men. More humans were striving for power than the typical plot of mutants being targeted. Wolverine struggled internally (like always) from his past with Jean Grey along side of defining what he wanted to be: an immortal mutant or a mortal human?


Because in the previous X-Men movies it was established that Logan (Wolverine) was in love with Jean Grey. In The Last Stand, he felt obligated to end her life because she became a bit of a killing machine with her overwhelming uncontrollable powers. Unfortunately, Logan carried the guilt side by side with his love for Jean.



In this film, Wolverine has a bit of a romance with Mariko. It is true that Logan shows his affections through his mental detachment but expresses through his physical acts. In the mix between Mariko and Wolverine is the mental image of Jean. I personally did not feel the chemistry between Wolverine and Mariok but I was informed that is a continued story line in the comics. This was my personal opinion simply because I have not read the comics so I base my assumptions off of what I see on screen and how that makes me feel. I did not feel the romance connection. Logan was more wrapped up in Jean but had a dilemma because she was dead and Mariko was a living human who cared for him.



I really enjoyed the action as always. There was a nice variety of mutants, humans, and even ninjas! The action scenes were creative and super fast pace. I enjoyed the camera movement in the first real battle scene. It gave the allusion the audience was an actual bystander witnessing the experience in person. I enjoyed feeling the pace of adrenaline from each action scene.





Of course just like every Marvel film, I advise you to stay after the credits which gives leeway to what is to come. I did enjoy this movie just as much as I expected. Even though I am pretty good at predicting plot lines, the best part is I was still shocked by some elements. I would definitely recommend this to my Marvel fans, comic lovers, and action gurus.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List