Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thor


Watching Thor...my expectations were completely blown out the water.
At first when I saw the previews, I only saw action and no story line. I had no idea what to expect and had no desire to see the movie. Then when I heard one good review, I had to see for myself.

The first seven minutes as the story was setting on the tracks, I was not feeling it. Many people would be impressed by Greek Gods in outer space but I was still trying to figure out where this plot line was going. Then I saw the first action sequence when between Thor and the bad people I didn’t care where the heck the story line was going. Heck yea, I’m all for gorgeous warriors kicking butt.


I still think the trailer could have been a lot better than what is shown because based on the previews I still would have no desire to see the movie. For those who are like me, and the visual is not getting it for you, here is a synopsis:

Marvel Studios expands its film universe with a new type of superhero: THOR. This epic adventure spans the Marvel Universe; from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth. Kenneth Branagh directs this fantasy epic which stars Australian actor Chris Hemsworth as the ancient Norse god, Tom Hiddleston as his chaotic brother Loki, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, a young woman who befriends Thor on Earth, and Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Thor's father and king of Asgard. Expect to see agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., previously seen in ''Iron Man'' to make an appearance, further foreshadowing the coming of The Avengers!

This trailer explains the story a whole lot better than the first preview that came out.

Some people do not like the story line well I quite enjoyed it. This pretty boy, Chris Hemsworth, plays the role of the iron head warrior who learns his lesson the hard way but he is perfect for that role. I couldn't have picked a better God of Thunder to watch for almost two hours, plus the rest of the cast was a great choice including Academy Award winners Sir Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman. I also love the allusions from Iron Man [the people from S.H.E.I.L.D]. This S.H.E.I.L.D guy gets to be the total duchebag in the movie which totally wiped his good credit he had from me in Iron Man but I’ll let you be the judge of that.
Another factor to document was the mise-en-scene. The scenery, backgrounds, and special effects were beautiful. As much detail was given as it were directed by Tim Burton (who is known for his detail to mise-en-scene and one of my favorite directors).



I would give Thor three and a half stars. The extra star and a half is completely left up to you to judge for yourself. A few things could have been bigger, story could have been more developed, and the ending could have been a little less predictable [for me]. I recommend Thor if you are dead set on seeing it but if not, wait until it comes out on DVD. It has an entertaining story line with great effects and cool fight scenes; tell me what you think.

BTW, I'm SUPER excited to see this movie retaliate in The Avengers (currently in production); I'm a sucker for Marvel Comic movies. AND make sure you stay for the after credits scene, it gives way for a sequel. 


Source: Internet Movie Data Base <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/synopsis>

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List