Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah's Farewell




Oprah has been around my entire life and I never knew how important she was until I did a biography report on her in the 7th grade. For then on, I would watch the Oprah Winfrey show religiously. Coming home after school, I struggled to get home in time to turn on my TV at 4pm.

Sadly, today was the last time I ran to my TV at 4pm to watch the Oprah Winfrey show.


Because Oprah is the queen of surprises on her show, it was about time other people gave her a surprise. First on the list of Oprah’s celebrity guest for her surprise spectacular was Tom Hanks who basically took the title of master of ceremonies for the Monday episode. Other guest on this episode included Tom Cruise, Jackie Evancho, Dakota Fanning, Queen Latifah, Halle Berry, Katie Holmes, John legend, Diane Sawyer, Josh Groban, Patti Labelle, Madonna, BeyoncĂ©, and Rascal Flatts.


The show’s first song was sung by the youngest opera singer [Jackie Evancho] and then transitioned into Josh Groban and Patti Labelle. Their version of “Over the Rainbow” brought tears to my eye. Patti tore it up...she truly brought church to the Oprah stage.


Next came my favorite material girl [Madonna] saying how the only person “alive” who inspires her is Oprah Winfrey. While Oprah did not think she could receive a bigger compliment, Dakota Fanning and her Oprah show babies all gave their personal testaments of what the Oprah show taught them. Giving way for the next guest & singer [BeyoncĂ©], they all believe that girls can run the world.



In compilation, John Legend informed the audience about a New Orleans school library that was damaged by hurricane Katrina and then a second time by a tornado. Hundreds of donations from the audience and many more sponsors like target helped set up a new library for the kids. It truly warmed my heart to see kids excited about having books; something I have always taken for granted is so appreciated by others. In addition, Diane Sawyer said they were planning to plant 25 giant oak trees in front of that very school and 2500 oak trees across the nation.

In the same exciting day, viewers tuned in on Tuesday for the continuation. Even more celebs like Will & Jada Smith, Michael Jordan, Jamie Foxx, Stevie Wonder, Jerry Seinfeld, Simon Cowell, Rosie O’Donnell, Gayle King, Maria Shriver, Tyler Perry, Kristen Chenoweth, Dr. Maya Angelou, Alicia Keys, Stedman Graham, Aretha Franklin, and Usher.


As many times as I have heard Oprah scream, this episode takes the cake. Talking about men who love the Oprah show, Jamie Foxx started singing “Isn’t She Lovely” making all the women in the audience swoon in the first phrase and then being joined by singing legend Stevie Wonder.


Jerry Seinfeld was the comic relief joking about how watching and being a guest on the Oprah show taught him to be a good husband because along with all the other mistakes he makes, he would still much rather be at a bulls game.


Simon Cowell came and introduced the next musical act, which he gives his seal of originality approval. Rosie O’Donnell introduces several of Oprah’s friends in her song: Dr. Phil, Nate Berkus, and Dr. Oz.


Gayle King & Maria Shriver were brought to the stage next as Oprah’s best girlfriends. Am I the only person who did not know Maria was one of her girlfriends? Is it true or was that a pity title because of her marital problems? I’m just asking, as my personal opinion.


64,688. That is the number of people who were educated because of Oprah. Tyler Perry said, “When you educate a black man, you empower families & change generations.” That is so true as Kristen Chenoweth sung “For Good.” As recently hearing this song on Glee, I get to hear it once again from the original soundtrack artist. This song is from my favorite musical in the world and I absolutely love listening to this song and as much as I love singing along every word. The lyrics fit Oprah’s good deeds very much and hit her right on the nose. As tears came to Oprah’s eye seeing all the black men she educated who moved on to educate those after them, this was a pinnacle emotional moment in the show.


Next, reading a beautiful original poem about Oprah was Dr. Maya Angelou. “Oprah wanted to give a voice to the voiceless.” Then, Alicia Keys sang “Super woman” to embody just how powerful Oprah truly has been.


Then, shockingly, Stedman Graham came on stage using all kinds of pet names; he gave her the biggest complement and surprise all night. To round out the end of the show, Aretha Franklin sang “Amazing Grace” and Usher finished with “Oh Happy Day.” I know he is a huge star and everything, but why is he the final act on Oprah’s surprise show? We will probably never know.


One thing we are sure of is how much many others and I love Oprah. She has been such a big impact in my life. Her show has inspired me, brought me to tears, and taught me to be a better person. Oprah has always been my after sschool buddy for years and there is a lot that I can say but all I am going to say is thank you. Thanks for living your full potential in spite of those who tried to bring you down and thanks for being such an inspiration. Along with other influences like Martin Luther King Jr., the Obama’s, Gandhi, and a few celebrities, Oprah has been one of my longest inspirations. When you step back and look at her 25-year talk show career...Oprah has truly changed so many lives and has honestly made such an impact on the world. We'll greatly miss the show & we love you Oprah.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List