Monday, June 7, 2010

Funny People

There is a reason the movie Funny People took me so long to get through...it lacked motivation. Supposedly the movie was from the creators of the 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up but it was a dramatic movie forced to be funny. Although I usually would trust Judd Apatow but this movie was too depressing. The movie had the correct title but the subject matter did not match. I would usually pay to watch Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Leslie Mann, or Jonah Hill movie because these are all really funny people but the whole dying comedian thing was too heavy.


Adam Sandler’s character, George Simmons, was a dying comedian, literally. He was lonely, grouchy, & missed out on life. He was a rude Debby downer whose character never made me laugh.

Seth Rogen was a suck up comedian who wanted to get ahead in his career but he was oddly a genuinely good guy. We as viewers usually see Rogen in some dumb, hilarious, cocky role but he played the grounded character in this movie.

Funny People reminded me a lot of the movie Smart People....made with a serious plot line and a little comedy thrown on top. In both films the drama was too melodramatic and the comedy was not enough. I did not even have any laugh out loud moments; I was able to watch this movie with a straight face in general but I cracked a smile a few times. Unless you are a die-hard fan of any of these actors, the movie is not worth watching. This movie gets a whopping two stars and I would not recommend it if you are looking for a laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List