Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Where are the Smart People?








I hate watching movies about boring, plain, or ordinary people. I can tell my movie choice is getting more particular these days. I am in to movies that do not take too long picking up the plot because if they start off really slow and do not pick up quick, then I do not hesitate to turn it off and find the next best thing to watch. Movies like Smart People, Lars and the Real Girl, and even Little Miss Sunshine. Movies that take such a long time to catch on ,surprisingly, get such good reviews. Their plots are slow and/or boring and in the end, they end up collecting good reviews and/ or Oscars. As a media critic, movie buff, and person with an opinion of the general population I feel obligation to be well rounded in my movie selection. Every movie has a fair chance in the beginning but after the first five minutes is where I start taking off points. Unfortunately, there are some movies I cannot take.

Right now I am watching Smart People and this plot is not picking up at all. It is ashamed that I finished this review before I finished the movie, and I would not change a thing I pre-wrote. I have seen all these actors and previous work and love almost everything they do. This is the movie that planted the “almost” in my statement. Actors like Dennis Quaid, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Ellen Page have stunning résumés in my opinion but this movie puts a dent in it. This is the kind of movie that goes straight to DVD and no one ever hears of it. Quaid and SPJ’s characters do not have chemistry. The two characters together as a couple are uncomfortable to watch. Two real people like that will very rarely end up together. This movie is a fictitious dream that someone had. Not only does it have an awkward couple but it has a cast of people whose characters do not mesh. Every character seems like they are suppose to be from different movies.

Hate to be harsh, but this movie was a complete waste of my time. I could get into Napoleon Dynamite or Juno, but not this movie. At least I have seen it so that I may warn other people. This movie may spin off as cute to other people on some dull level but it is ordinary, uneventful, and lacks fascination. I can really use a Steven Spielberg or Jerry Bruckheimer movie about now....no, two hours ago.

4 comments:

  1. I think that sometimes movies about ordinary people can be funny. Because I think that everyday life is funny and so when you get to watch someone else's everyday life it entertains me. Like The Office. That is a show about someone's job but I still think it is one of the most entertaining shows. But I get what your saying sis...you like the action! Nice critiquing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you are saying about "The Office" but I said the movie lacks fascination. "The Office" has pleanty of it. It has a huge comedy factor which gives the viewers a fascination with the show. And you are right about me loving my action. I cannot watch too many comedy/ romance/ or drama's without watching an action movie in between. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, i guess this doesnt exactly tickle your fancy lol. What you need to do is hurry up and go see the movie G.I.JOE. Even though i havent seen it yet, by the previews, it seems like one of those movies that an action lover like yourself would really appreciate.

    -Gino-

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are exactly right. Uneventful movies do not really “tickle my fancy,” (lol)because I am an action freak. In addition, I am planning to go see G.I. Joe. Not only because it is an action movie but also, I am a fan of Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, and Marlon Wayans.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List