Friday, September 3, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!


WOW! OMG! I CANT BELIEVE WHAT I JUST WITNESSED!

With faucets running from my eyes, that was my reaction to the ending.

I have wanted to see The Boy in the Striped Pajamas ever since I saw the first trailer in theatres. The second it was finished I made it my goal to see that movie. Little did I know it would be a year later that I would get my chance to watch it.


When the movie begun, I already knew the story took place through the eyes of a German boy. I took it as one of those movies where they get one to understand the perspective of another. For example, Gone with the Wind was through the eyes of a beautiful Scarlett O’Hara who was a southern confederate. The movie gave detail of the civil war with a love story wrapped up. After watching Gone with the Wind, I [as a so called Yankee] was able to sympathize with the south even though I would change a lick of that history.


Mark Herman brings us an overlooked filmed where friendship and the kindness of humanity prevail all. The movie cover quotes, “Lines may divide us, but hope will unite us.” With those words said, that sums up the movie in a nutshell.


Although this story line takes place during World War II in Germany (supposedly enemy territory), the main character, [big blue eyed] Bruno has a curiosity about him that invites one in and places the world through his eyes. Even though his father is a Nazi prison guard, we are instantly sucked into a German family. As the plot progresses, the boy in the striped pajamas comes along and explores a brand new type of friendship with Bruno.



Herman adapted this screen play from John Boyne’s bestselling novel. I really picky when it comes to books but this was an excellent film and I can only imagine how awesome the book is in comparison.



The only reason The Boy in the Striped Pajamas got to me so bad was the ending. If anyone does not want the entire movie spoiled for him or her, now is the time to stop reading.


The plot comes winding down when Bruno makes a promise to Shmuel to help him find his father in the concentration camp. Bruno commits by covering his head and wearing a pair of striped pajamas just like his Jewish friend Shmuel. Once wandering in the camp, they were caught in a crowd headed to the gas chambers. Of course, the Jews and Bruno thought it was a shower when in reality it was a slow, inhumane, suffocating death. The moment where your heart sinks to the bottom of your stomach and melts is the moment his mother sees Bruno’s clothes on the ground with a hole under the fence realizing exactly what happened to her little boy. Knowing that Bruno, a non Jewish German, was killed in a gas chamber, with his father as Nazi guard himself, made me sick to my stomach. I just wanted to scream in anguish with the mother. I can only speak of my pain and the pain of thinking of a horrid situation like that but I can never feel a needle prick as to what Bruno’s mother truly felt. Here, her eight year old son who wanted to be an explorer and saw the good in all people (even Jews) and died in a gas chamber at a concentration camp.



This ending was so powerful because it was not the typical happy ending or hero ending. No! It was so real, it hurt, but I would not change a thing in the picture because it exceeded my expectations. It is sad how this movie was overlooked and not recognized by the Academy. Overall this movie would get a solid five stars. I highly recommend The Boy in the Striped Pajamas to anyone, especially those who have a love for history and drama.








8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I totally agree!! I love all things war related and when I watched this move I absolutely loved it until the end. I'm like awe what a good friend Bruno is going to help find the dad . . . then you begin to get that foreboding feeling when Bruno notices that the 'camp' isn't like the movie said. But the part that was crazy was the ending, the entire time they were being herded to the 'shower' you know whats about to happen but your like Bruno is the hero and a child they won't kill him. WRONG!! I bawled my eyes out . . . :( so sad but a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good review. I knew it was a good book, but now I am compelled to watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laurel Im still in shock by that ending because Im surprised they (writers & producers) didnt make anyone the hero. It ended so realistically. Honestly I talked about the movie so much in a 2 day span, someone went out & bought it for me. lol Now I can watch it whenever I want!

    @Valerie Thank you. When u watch the movie dont compare it to the book because that always ruins a movie. Let it stand on its own 2 legs & watch it as a movie & not a book made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i watch this move im class and i was in tears. i wish Bruno didnt die he had such a kind heart and i loved his eyes(im a sucker for blue eyes!)but i wish there was a happy ending instead of a sad but it was a great movie so im going to get the book now because ive only seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the movie and i loved it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very sad that Bruno died but this is what makes the movie more relistic and believable instead of all hollywood-listic where a hero comes in at the last minute...to the rescue. It was a sad ending but I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this movie. I thought the ending was really sad too, but i thought it was genious. The way the author made the point that Bruno and Shmuel are in a way the same person. He points out that the nazis were totally wrong in thinking Jews were in any way different that of any other religion, because if they were so different that someone would have noticed Bruno in the "march". As said in the trailer, with the same cloths and with Bruno wearing the hat, it shows just how similar the young boys are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i cried at the ending of this film and im 10 does anybody know what happened at the end when they got naked an got blown up i dont understand ?????

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List