Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer Movies 2009


X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE- Excellent movie! It is definitely a five star movie. The movie jumps right into the action packed plot in the beginning and does not stop. The entire plot corresponds with the X-Men trilogy and explains everything. Of course there are some surprises I did not see coming but I will let you find out for yourself. On the plus side, I have never seen Hugh Jackman look so good. Another actor that caught my eye was Ryan Reynolds (Wade Wilson). He always does these cute romance comedies but he switched it up on us. Ryan Reynolds supportive part(s) in Wolverine blew me out the water. I hope that in the future he does more. If you are an action freak like me, then I highly suggest this movie. Anyone who disagrees does not matter.



STAR TREK 2009- Honestly, I was surprised how good the movie was. Most commercials build the movie up more than it actually is but not Star Trek. The commercial do it justice. The funny thing is I am a Star Wars person but Star Trek really caught my eye. Now, I never saw the original or watched the series so I not sure how qualified I am to speak on the movie's behalf but for what it worth, I was very intrigued by the movie. Plot, characters, and setting all fascinated me. From an outside Star Trek fanatic prospective and looking at it as an action movie it was four stars. Chris Pine (James T. Kirk) did a good job. I liked the fact he was a very confident person with a subtle sense of humor. I was surprised with Zoe Saldana (Uhura) because I was predicting a traditional romance plot. Usually, hero/ star/ main character get the girl in the end....but I was wrong. Apparently, Uhura has eyes for another. Another shocker: Tyler freaking Perry! Yes! Tyler Perry does have a role, small role, but a role in Star Trek. I did not expect him of all people. When I saw him I dropped my jaw. But hey, he did well. I am just glad he can act. In the end, all I can say is go see the movie. It is worth $5-10, or whatever you pay these days.



TERMINATOR SALVATION- I never got around to watching any of the terminator movies but I have heard what the entire buzz is about; but I have seen Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The movie does live up to the commercials and it is exactly what it advertises. It is a great action movie with loud noises and big machines. This movie was made for the bug screen. Unfortunately, I did pay nine dollars to see it but that is a kind of movie that cannot be watched on a little screen and definitely not without surround sound. Now, not to be nit picky but the only reason Christian Bale was the star is because he is a bigger star than Sam Worthington (Marcus) is. The story really revolved around this half man half machine. With all that said, Christian Bale does a stellar performance and so does Sam Worthington. Another surprise performance was, Anton Yelchin (Kyle Reese). First he co-stars with Robert Downey Jr. in Charlie Bartlett then, he slides in Star Trek, and next I see the kid in Terminator Salvation! He is building up quite a career with these
movies and his superb performances.





LAND OF THE LOST- Apparently, this movie is a remake of an older version of Land of the Lost. I have not seen the older version but I do not think it has a funny Will Ferrell spin on it. The movie was definitely what I expected but I got just as many laughs as I paid for...and more. At first, I did not want to see the movie but I when the opportunity arose to see it, I went for it. It was not the predicted next movie I would have guessed for Will Ferrell but it was his typical hilarious performance. Now, Danny McBride and Will Ferrell make an impressive team, and I would cast them any day together. So far he (Danny McBride) is building up a notable résumé in the comedic department. The movie without doubt made me laugh so much more than I expected.




TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN- Just got done seeing the movie, and yes, it is two hours and forty- five minutes. This movie exceeded my expectations in all areas: more action, a lot more comedy, and bigger story lines for some characters. This movie gets five stars across the board. This movie not only has so many action sequences but it has some hilarious comments. At one point I thought it was hilarious to see a bit of Louis Stevens in Shia LaBeouf’s character Sam. He was doing that really high pitch scream just like when he was on Even Stevens. On that note, Shia LaBeouf did a remarkable job and topped his first performance by a long shot. You can really see the changes in him physically and skillfully. Kudos to the writer because the time and work that went in to creating that story line is unbelievable. Like all sequels, the story line gets deeper and is so intriguing. I absolutely love the cast, story line, and the overall movie. Revenge of the Fallen is about ten notches higher than the first Transformers and everyone steps up to make that happen. My advice is to definitely go see the movie and if you do not like it....then something is wrong with you.

1 comment:

  1. I know... i went to see it the first time it showed at 12:01am and i had to force myself to stay awake but i would say it was well worth it.

    -Gino-

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List