Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring Awakening



There is a night where people bring out their fine jewelry, fancy clothes, and dress shoes and no, I am not talking about a high school dance. Date night at the theatre.


Since it been a while since I have been to the movies and Lord in heaven only knows how long it has been since I have been to the theatre. And that is theatre (T-H-E-A-T-R-E) not theater (T-H-E-A-T-E-R); there is a difference. I cannot even remember the last show I attended; it is between Lion King, Hairspray, or Rent. Well my new obsession is Spring Awakening.


It all started with a Broadway soundtrack and hearing Lea Michele’s voice for the first time way before Glee was ever thought of. The music told a story of the troubles of teenagers in Germany and I had to know more because the music captivated me so much.


And that is what led me to tonight: an artistic realm in which I enjoy the most being a spectator as well as a participant. The theatre has always been seen as an exclusive enjoyable night to be entertained; and it is usually worth every penny.


I have never attended a controversial musical/play. It includes masturbation, sex, nudity, and homosexual relations. The thing that makes theatre controversial is bringing those real life hardships to the stage that people are not ready to face. Besides the notorious behavior [which caught me off guard], the music, lighting, blocking, and singing were all phenomenal. The lighting was consisting of intense blues, reds, greens, and spotlights. The music was expression of powerful emotion that made you feel exactly what they were singing while the blocking was done uniquely.


I thought because it was a musical about school kids coming into their sexuality, other school kids should be able to see this play but I definitely changed my mind. If this were a movie it would be rated R because sexuality and language are looked at so divisive yet so common among this day and age.


Sex is out there in the media and kids are curious and exposed to it all the time. They need to know what is out there but at the same time know their limits.


Spring Awakening is an excellent musical for adults and mature adolescences. Kids need to know about sex in an educating way before they learn about it from the media in an entertaining fashion. I thank my mom for grossing me out at an appropriate age and therefore I know I have conducted myself in a safe and responsible way.


Spring Awakening has taught me not to leave those who are ignorant in the dark because they will stumble upon something they are not sure of and they regret later on. They can cast a dark shadow that follows them around for the rest of their lives.


http://www.springawakening.com/photo-galleries/melchior-and-wendla.html
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/141368-Christopher-Wood-and-Elizabeth-Judd-to-Head-     New-Tour-of-Spring-Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List